Crosley, Raymond Earl (Unknown - June 26, 1951)

Two Killed Near Here In Separate


Unknown - June 28, 1951

Separate accidents near here claimed the lives of two local men Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning. The first victim, Raymond Crosley, 42, died enroute to the hospital here after his auto was struck by a fast freight train on a grade crossing at Orin.

The second fatality occurred about 12:15 Wednesday morning when Hugh Bader, 45, died enroute to the hospital from critical injuries sustained when a car in which he was riding left the highway on the curve near the badlands and overturned. The driver of the car, James C. Best, 42, of Casper, is in critical condition in a Casper hospital.

Mr. Crosley, who was employed by Currier and Denny, was enroute home from a field where he had been cultivating potatoes. He stopped at the Cliff's Store at Orin for groceries and Mr. Dameron, the owner, said he departed for his home about half mile south of the tracks a few minutes after 8:00 p.m. According to Mr. Dameron, at 8:20 Louis Blankenship's little daughter came to the store and told him to call the ambulance and fire department as a car had been hit at the crossing. After making the call, Dameron, Jim Puckett, Louis Gillespie and Clyde Rogers rushed to the scene of the accident. The train had carried the car 2200 feet down the tracks before stopping and the car was partially pinned under the cowcatcher and front coupler on the locomotive.

Mr. Crosley was pinned in the front seat with his head and shoulders hanging out of the window on the driver's side. He was conscious but apparently too shocked to be in any great pain. When the train crew found they couldn't back up the engine due to the pilot trucks being off the tracks, Rogers and the other Orin men went to Rogers' shop and loaded an acetylene torch on a truck and brought it to the scene to try to cut Mr. Crosley loose from his auto. The Douglas fire department stood by in case of fire and several wet blankets were placed over Mr. Crosley to keep the heat from the torch from burning him. After getting him out of the mangled auto, he was rushed to Memorial hospital here in Stark's ambulance, but died before reaching Douglas.

The car, a 1940 Mercury sedan, was completely demolished.

Survivors include his wife, Josephine; three children, Joyce, 11, David, 9, and Charlotte, 7, and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Crosley of Douglas.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

Mr. Bader lost his life a few hours later when the 1951 Mercury in which he was riding missed the curve at Tarrant's Station near the badlands and practically flew through the air for approximately 239 feet before coming to rest on its wheels. During the entire distance, the car, which was traveling east, bounced over only once, indicating that the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed. The terrain at that point slopes sharply into the badlands.

A trucker,, who was traveling west, said he saw the car leaving the road and bounce through the air. He notified Highway Patrolman Bob Albright who rushed to the scene after calling the ambulance.

Both men were in the front seat and were hanging out the door on the right side of the car. Neither was conscious. Mr. Bader died enroute to the hospital and the condition of Mr. Best was described as fair. Late yesterday he was taken to the Casper hospital by Stark's ambulance.

Survivors include his wife and three step-children. Funeral services will be held tomorrow(Friday)afternoon at Worland, the family home, and burial will be at that place. Mr. Bader had lived here approximately eight years and was employed as a ranch hand.


No Entries