Curtin, Caroline Cecelia (Keenan) (March 22, 1879 - September 6, 1973)
MRS. CAROLINE CECELIA CURTIN
Douglas Budget - September 6, 1973Final rights for longtime Douglas resident Mrs. William E. (Caroline)Curtin, 94, were held at 10 a.m. Friday, August 31, at St. James Catholic Church in Douglas, with the Rev. Sean Farren of Douglas, and the Rev. Gerald Sullivan of Glenrock, officiating. Mrs. Curtin passed away August 28 at Converse County Memorial Hospital.
Caroline Cecelia Keenan was born in Blairtown, Iowa, March 22, 1879, to Cornelius and Mary Jane Toomey Keenan. She spent her girlhood years in the Midwest, and later attended Nebraska Normal School at Fremont, Nebraska.
She was united in marriage to William Curtin on June 29, 1903, at Omaha, Nebraska. The couple resided at Spaulding, Nebraska prior to coming to Wyoming March 17, 1917, to homestead northeast of Douglas. They continued to ranch in the Douglas area until 1934, when they took up farming in the Glenrock area. In 1944, they returned to Douglas where Mrs. Curtin spent her remaining years.
She was a member of St. James Catholic Church and the St. James Altar and Rosary Society, the Royal Neighbors, and the LaPrele Homemakers Club.
Survivors include three daughters, Mrs. Rex (Eve) Mullenix of Long Beach, California, Mrs. Charles (Avis) Smith of Thermopolis, and Mrs. John (Margaret)Mills of New Paris, Ohio; four sons, Thomas W. Peter A. and Paul R. of Douglas, Francis W. of Thermopolis; 13 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.
A son, Gerald of Watonga, Oklahoma, preceded her in death.
Pallbearers were Timothy Curtin of Oklahoma, Patrick Curtin of Billings, John Curtin of Thermopolis, Peter Mike Curtin of Douglas, Russell Burbank of Chicago, Maxie Page, Douglas, all grandsons; and Max Page, Douglas, and Dick Silsby of Glenrock.
Serving as honorary pallbearers were Sam Amspoker, Irving Carlson, Richard Burke, Tom Johnson, Emil Rohlff, Joe Sullivan, Frank Thurston, Fred Marburger and Jim Marsden.
Burial was in Douglas Park Cemetery.