Carson, Roy (Unknown - December 9, 1929)


Killed by Falling Rock and Coal WAS EMPLOYED AS MINER Mine Known to be Dangerous But Was Allowed to be Operated By the State

Douglas Budget - December 12, 1929

Roy Carson, aged 28 years, was instantly killed late Monday afternoon in a coal mine in which he was working, forty-one miles northwest of Douglas. Death was caused when a large amount of rock and coal fell from the roof of the mine, crushing Carson before he could make his escape. A man named Day, from Glendo, who was at the mine at the time for a load of coal, was also caught in the debris, but his companion, Jackson was able to extricate him Carson was killed instantly.

The three men, Carson, Day and Jackson, had warning of the impending crash and rushed to the mine exit. Jackson was able to get out, but a large rock struck Carson on the head, felling him, followed by another that completed the work. Day was buried to the waist in the debris, but was extricated without suffering any injury and from bruises.

Mine On State Land

The mine, with a sixty-foot vein of good coal, has long furnished the fuel supply to the homesteaders in that section. It is on state land and ten or twelve years ago was leased by parties who proposed to develop the property. A branch railroad was contemplated and much stock in the enterprise was sold. The project fell through, however, and the lease expired, after which the settlers mined their own coal there.

Two years ago a state inspector visited the place and protested the free use of coal by residents there, as the state was entitled to a tonnage royalty. He finally leased the property to a homesteader named Hoskovic, who has operated the mine since that time. Last year people came and mined their own coal, paying so much a ton. This year Carson, who has a homestead near there was employed by Hoskovic to get out the coal. The mine is practically un-timbered and recognized as highly dangerous by the state mining department, which gave notice that those who entered did so at their own risk. It was allowed to continue operation, however.

Carson is spoken of highly by his acquaintances and was popular in that section. He was an ex-service man and a member of the Legion. His mother is a resident of Lincoln, Nebr., and two sisters, Mrs. J.W. Minnick and Miss Irene Carson, reside at Casper. The latter is teaching in the public schools of Casper, but is now attending the University of Nebraska under a leave of absence. A brother resides at Mitchell, Neb.

The body was taken to Glenrock and later to Casper, from where it was shipped to Lincoln for burial.


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries