Camp, Addie and daughter Berdie (Unknown - December 22, 1886)


A Daughter Dies, and her Mother Commits Suicide.

Bill Barlows Budget - December 22, 1886

"Truth is stranger than fiction," At break of day on Monday morning last, a woman begging unmistakable signs of excitement awoke Druggist Brodbeck and asked for a bottle of morphine, explaining that Dr. Wilson was very ill and had sent her after it. Not knowing who she was, but supposing that she was employed at the physician's residence, he gave her the vial. An hour afterward the woman lay prone upon the floor of a Third street residence, beside the coffined remains of her daughter-gasping, dying-and in the pocket of her dress was found what was left of the deadly drug. A piece of paper was found near her, which bore, in irregular lines and hastily formed characters, these words:
DEAR FRIENDS: I can't live without my darling, so must go with her. Write and tell my boy, Frank. Don't tell him how I died - tell him I died of grief, which is true. God be with your all and have mercy on my soul. Frank is in Sheridan, Wyoming. Bury me with my child. God forgive!

Bless the doctor and his family. Oh doctor, forgive me. I could not live without her. God bless Mrs. Dunbar. I ask you in the name of God do not try and bring me back again. This from ADDIE.

Mrs. Addie Camp and daughter - the latter a young lady of 20 years of age - came here from Buffalo last spring. The girl was taken sick several weeks ago, and on Sunday last, died. Mrs. Camp is said to have repeatedly threatened her life in case the illness of Berdie, her child, should terminate fatally, and on one occasion Mrs. C.E. Clay one of several sympathizing ladies who did all that kind hearts could suggest to make the sick girl comfortable -- took from Mrs. Camp a bottle of strychnine with which she said she intended to end her life if her daughter died. On the night following Miss Camp's death Mrs. Clay induced the bereaved mother to go home with her, and both herself and husband remained awake until a late hour, and until Mrs. Camp had apparently fallen asleep. Early next morning, however, before anyone else was up, the grief-crazed woman slipped out of the house, procured the morphine as related above, and going to her rooms, which were in Dr. Wilson's resident, prayed, to be left alone with the body of her child. "Only a half hour with her, for the last time on earth!" she entreated, and the request was granted by the watchers, who retired to another part of the house. Hearing no sound, a man climbed into the window soon afterward--the door was locked and found her upon the floor, unconscious. Dr. Cushman was called who applied the treatment usual in such cases consulting occasionally with Dr. Wilson, who lay ill in the other part of the house. After a hard fight against a dose of about fifteen grains of morphine, the lady was finally restored to consciousness lingering until this morning, when she died.

The remains of Miss Camp were interred on Monday, the funeral being largely attended. The mother will be buried tomorrow, beside her child.

Mrs. Camp was about 40 years of age. She was a relative of the wife of Mr. R.H. Vosburgh, who has telegraphed her sisters--living at Chugwater and Cheyenne--and made all arrangements for the funeral. It occurs at 10 a.m.


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries


No Entries