Cunningham, Wife of Frank W. (Unknown - November 18, 1923)

Oil Explosion Causes Death

Douglas Budget - November 22, 1923

Mrs. Frank W. Cunningham, aged 53 years, died at the Douglas hospital Sunday morning from burns received the previous afternoon. She was building a fire in the kitchen range, using kerosene to hurry the fire. The oil in the can became ignited and an explosion followed, enveloping her in the burning fluid. She ran into a bed room and sought to smother the flames with the bed clothes, but was only partially successful, for her entire body had became saturated with the oil and she was unable to accomplish much.

A fire alarm was turned in and the department had little trouble in subduing the flames. Mrs. Cunningham was removed to the hospital at once, but there was little hope that she could live, for her entire body was burned. She died at 2:15 Sunday morning.

The Cunninghams have been residents of Douglas since June, coming here from Lusk. Mr. Cunningham is with the Douglas Lumber Company. The family has made many friends since their residence here and floral tributes and expressions of sympathy from Lusk tell of their high standing there. Besides her husband she is survived by six children, the youngest being 9 years of age. She was a member of the Eastern Star and of the Royal Neighbors.

Funeral services were held from the home yesterday afternoon, under the auspices of the Royal Neighbors, Rev. R.M. Jones preaching the funeral sermon. Burial was in Douglas cemetery.

Father

No Entries

Mother

No Entries

Siblings

No Entries

Spouse(s)

No Entries

Children

No Entries

Grandchildren

No Entries